railroad & inland marine
Oronite’s railroad engine oils are a benchmark in the market. The key to our strength is in product formulation and field testing. Our products have undergone millions of real-time operating hours in a variety of 2-stroke (2T) and 4-stroke (4T) cycle locomotive engines, as well as onboard coastal and inland marine vessels.
Oronite’s additive technology is used extensively in railroad networks around the world.
With Oronite, every relationship along the entire supply chain is marked by the kind of integrity and flexibility that builds success through trust. We maintain strong original equipment manufacturer (OEM) partnerships and collaborate with customers to continue anticipating market needs and providing solutions.
industry firsts in RREO
We have a rich legacy of innovation in railroad engine oil (RREO) technology, which has helped increase performance efficiencies for our customers over the years. Many of these innovations enabled us to be the first to meet the successive “generations” of engine oil performance standards defined by the Locomotive Maintenance Officers Association (LMOA) classification system.
legacy of innovation timeline
First to meet LMOA Generation 3 technology.
First to meet LMOA Generation 4 technology.
Improved oxidation/deposit control high-sulfur fuel application.
First to meet LMOA Generation 5 technology and first multi-grade 20W-40.
Improved deposit and wear control. Introduction of OLOA® 2000.
First to meet LMOA Generation 6 low ash for use in emission control engines consuming low-sulfur diesel and ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD). Introduction of OLOA® 40000.
First to meet LMOA Generation 7 Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Tier 4 performance. Introduction of OLOA® 42015.
Oronite has successfully demonstrated its commitment to providing superior additive technology to the railroad industry over the past several decades. We remain steadfast in our commitment for continuous scientific advancements.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Tier 4 emission standards for locomotive engines took effect in 2015. These, along with locomotive engine design modifications and operating conditions, make locomotive engine oil performance even more critical. Oronite developed OLOA 42015 to meet the stringent requirements of Tier 4 locomotives and deliver proven field performance. Older Electro-Motive Division (EMD) and General Electric® (GE) engine models will also benefit. After more than five years of research and development including successful field testing, this product has been proven to enhance overall oil performance and minimize the rate of oil degradation.
Enhanced Base Number Retention
- Surpasses the success of OLOA 40000’s unblemished performance in Tier 0, 0+, 1, 1+, 2, 2+ and Tier 3 engines
- Effectively addresses strong and weak acid accumulation via complex detergent matrix
- Addresses lower oil consumption in new and rebuilt locomotives with unique formulation
Excellent Acid Number Control
- Rapidly neutralizes residual acid levels as documented in laboratory and field performance results
- Impedes oil degradation
- Sustained neutralization of strong and weak acids
Thermal and Oxidative Stability
- Provides superior viscosity control
- Effectively addresses lower oil consumption and increased oil residence time
- Maintains engine cleanliness and sludge control
- Enhances boundary layer lubrication with new component
- Improves corrosive wear protection
- Augments product life-cycle costs for engine hardware
Laboratory, Dyno and Field Tested
- Performs in field-tested Tier 4 locomotives and older locomotives
- Addresses exhaust-after-treatment options with phosphorous-free chemistry
- Aids analytical parameters for used oil trending and condition-based monitoring
- Delivers cost-effective solution for Tier 4 locomotives and older generation models